When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.
William Shakespeare (from Coriolanus)
Our services to central government
Policy makers today face considerable challenges including:
- Formulating and implementing effective policy
- Providing assurance in a changing world
- Effectively delivering public services to customers’ expectations
- Modernising and improving efficiency
- Tackling global challenges such as: climate change, sustainability, security of supply (energy, food etc), dealing with disadvantage and the threat of disease.
Risk Solutions provides a comprehensive service in support of policy making. We bring extensive experience from both the public and private sectors to help our clients explore the policy making context, develop and implement decision making frameworks, appraise different policy options and evaluate policies once implemented.
Working closely with our customers we can help ensure that policy proposals meet the five Principles of Good Regulation that is that they are:
- proportionate to the risk
- targeted, focused on the problem, with minimal side effects
- accountable, consistent and transparent.
Examples of our work include:
- The Hampton Review recommended fundamental changes to reduce the UK’s regulatory burden. We helped HM Revenue and Customs develop a process to review the accuracy of its compliance cost assessments. Access the report here.
- We carried out a major survey for DWP to improve its understanding of the costs involved in administering housing and council tax benefits. This has provided a sound basis for decisions on redesigning the benefits and modernising delivery. Access the report here.
- We used a highly visible, participatory approach to model the epidemiological and economic impact of movement standstill controls imposed following the 2001 outbreak of foot and mouth disease. Despite a paucity of good data and many opposing view points, this approach enabled policy makers, experts and industry stakeholders to reach a common understanding of the costs, risks and uncertainties associated with each of the options. Access the report here.
Find out more about these and other projects and services by clicking on the links to the right.